Portrait Painting from Life 1 Day Workshop
Sunday, May 13th 9am-5pm
Class fee is $120 per student.
This intensive class will cover basic anatomy and structure of the head, lighting and posing the model, drawing the portrait with accuracy and likeness, light and color logic and theory, color mixing, and more!
The morning will focus on drawing the head in preparation for painting with color in the afternoon. Lacey will begin with a demonstration to walk the students through her process step-by-step, allowing for questions as she works. During student painting time, she will provide assistance and feedback with each student individually.
- Vine charcoal and charcoal pencil
- Titanium white
- Cadmium yellow or cadmium yellow light
- *Cadmium orange (Gamblin)
- *Cadmium red light (Rembrandt)
- Cadmium red deep (Rembrandt)
- Quinacridone rose
- French ultramarine blue (W&N)
- *King’s blue (Vasari)
- *Phthalocyanine turquoise (W&N)
- *Cadmium green or Cinnabar green or another light green
- Ivory black
- 11"x14" to 16"x20" Canvas or Canvas Panel
- Variety of bristle and synthetic brushes
- Flat Palette
- Paper towels
*These materials are recommended but not required. I've included brand names according to any preferences I have in each color, but it is not necessary to purchase these brands in particular. Any professional quality materials are acceptable. (IE, not student grade.)
Please tone the canvas a light brown or light gray in advance by mixing black or burnt umber oil paint with white or use OMS to thin the paint and wipe it across the canvas with a cloth. Make sure that the value of the brown or gray is relatively light, and that your surface is not so smooth that it’s shiny or slippery, as the paint will have difficulty adhering.
Questions? Email Lacey!